- 1983 - Mechtild finished her studies Biology and Geography and became a teacher
- 1983 - she worked as a teacher
- 1985 - California, USA
- 1988 - Germany she lived at different places and did voluntary work
- 2001 - she moved to Halle/Saale and worked at the "Institut für Technische Biochemie e.V." for Prof. Rainer Rudolph as Coordinator of the Wachstumskern, a project of the BMBF.
- 2005 - Coordinator of the DFG-GRK 1026 "Conformational transitions in macromolecular interactions" of Prof. Milton T. Stubbs at the Institute und Biotechnology at the Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg
- 2010 - since May she is Coordinator of the DFG-GRK1591 "Posttranscriptional control of gene expression: mechanisms and role in pathogenesis” graduate School. She is our helping hand when it comes to administration stuff.